UFC 153 Rio Brazil Results: Antonio Minotauro Nogueria proves Jiu Jitsu does work
RIO DE JANEIRO – UFC has come back to Brazil for the 4th time with the venue at the HSBC Arena. It was almost another upsetting card, with Rampage Jackson having to pull out of his fight due to injury, and Jose Aldo pulling out of the main event due to a motorcycle accident which injured his foot.
It was during this tense moment for Dana White, who already went through a cancellation of UFC 151 got a call from Stephan Bonnar and Anderson Silva (wanting to save the event) who would both meet up in the main event at a catch weight of 205 lbs. This main event would not be for Anderson’s belt, who usually fights at 185 lbs.
Each fight was exciting with an amazing display of Standup, Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. I even found myself amazed with John Fitch’s performance who is usually described as a boring fighter, who grinds out wins.
Antonio Nogueira (34-7-1 MMA, 5-3 UFC) showed us why he is probably one of the best and feared Jiu Jitsu fighter in the game with an armbar win against Dave Herman. Herman who was very vocal prior to the fight and adamant that jiu-jitsu wouldn’t work on him, mouthed the words “fuck me” towards the camera after the loss.
Anderson Silva continues to amaze us with his quick reflexes and an easy win against Stephan Bonnar.
An amazing night of fights for the average mma fan…
Below are the results of UFC 153
– Lightweight Cristiano Marcello def. Reza Madadi Decision (split)
– Middleweight Chris Camozzi def. Luiz Cané Decision (unanimous)
Preliminary Card on FOX
– Featherweight Rony Mariano Bezerra def. Sam Sicilia TKO
– Lightweight Gleison Tibau def. Francisco Trinaldo Decision (unanimous)
– Featherweight Diego Brandao def. Joey Gambino Decision (unanimous)
– Welterweight Sergio Moraes def. Renee Forte Submission (rear-naked choke)
Main card on PPV
– Light Heavyweight Anderson Silva def. Stephan Bonnar TKO (knee to body)
– Heavyweight Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira def. Dave Herman Submission (armbar)
– Light Heavyweight Glover Teixeira def. Fabio Maldonado TKO (physician stoppage)
– Welterweight Jon Fitch def. Erick Silva Decision (unanimous)
– Light Heavyweight Phil Davis def. Wagner Prado Submission (anaconda choke)
– Welterweight Demian Maia def. Rick Story Submission (rear naked choke)
Fight of the Night ($70,000)
Fitch vs. Silva
Knockout of the Night ($70,000)
Submission of the Night ($70,000)
Antônio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira
UFC 153 Anderson Silva vs Stephen Bonnar Preview